News

New pseudo rage detected in wild boar - risk of infection for dogs and cats


Aujeszky's disease detected in wild boar: danger to dogs and cats

Aujeszky's disease (AK) has been detected in a wild boar in Lower Saxony. The disease, also known as "pseudo-rage", is apparently harmless to humans. However, an infection always ends fatally for dogs and cats.

Pseudo-rage in southern Lower Saxony

Aujeszky's disease (AK) has been detected in a wild boar in the district of Northeim (southern Lower Saxony). According to the current state of knowledge, the disease, which is also known as “pseudo-rage”, is harmless to humans. The infection is fatal to dogs and cats.

Danger to pets

According to a message from the Northeim district, Aujeszky's disease (AK) was first detected in a wild boar from the Wollbrechtshausen district in the Northeim district.

The occurrence of the infectious disease in wild boar also poses a danger to domestic pigs.

The viral disease can also affect dogs and cats.

"With these animal species, an infection is always fatal! The carnivores can become infected through the ingestion of blood or raw meat from infected pigs, ”says the message.

"On the other hand, according to the current state of knowledge, the virus is harmless to humans, so there is no danger from eating processed and cooked wild boar products," reported the veterinary office at the district office in Haßberge (Bavaria) years ago.

Intense itching

Dogs fall ill a few days after infection. A clear symptom is an intense itching.

The four-legged friends rub, lick and scratch themselves and inflict deep skin wounds. In addition, swallowing problems occur, which cause foamy saliva in front of the mouth.

Refusal to feed and paralysis may also occur.

"The disease can be rabies-like," writes the Lower Saxony State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety (Laves) on its website.

Avoid contact with wild boar

"To protect against infection with the causative agent of Aujeszky's disease, dogs and cats should therefore only be fed with fully cooked meat from domestic and wild boar," said Dr. Siegfried Orban, head of the food monitoring and veterinary department at the Northeim district.

Contact with infected wild boar and parts of killed animals also pose a risk of infection for dogs.

In order to prevent possible contact with wild boars and thus infection, dogs should be kept on a lead in the forest and field or wherever wild boars live. (ad)

Author and source information



Video: Bowhunting Australia (January 2022).